Meet community need for new and existing indoor recreation space.
- Goal 1: Maintain and update existing facilities.
- Goal 2: Invest in new indoor facilities / space to respond to community needs.
- Goal 3: Optimize use of existing facilities.
Tactic 1: Optimize use of existing non-traditional indoor facility spaces to provide core offerings (Targeted Completion Date-Fall 2021)
- Offering summer programs in non-traditional spaces (Summer 2021), including:
- Senior recreation programs at Wilder Mansion and Courts Plus
- Youth and Special Interest and some Early Childhood recreation programs at Courts Plus
Tactic 2: Complete design development and engineering and renovation of Adult Center (Targeted Completion Date-Summer 2022)
Adult Center Concept Boards, click to enlarge.
- Background: Based on the needs assessment and community feedback conducted during and after the Vision 2020 process, the Park Board has continued to move forward with developing a new Adult Center, including acquiring the 155 E. St. Charles Road facility and selling The Abbey to Elmhurst School District #205 for their new transition center. The existing building is 12,800 square feet on a 2.92 acre lot with a 67 car parking lot and large open lawn area for a neighborhood park.
- Need: The need for a new Adult Center was a key finding in the Vision 2020 Plan based on community support for a new facility, the interest in increased adult programming, and The Abbey’s space constraints, condition, and lack of support facilities for recreation programming and events.
- Building Review: The building has not had any major renovations in the past 20 years. A complete review of the building systems, code review, ADA review and structural review was completed in 2019 by Dewberry Architects. Renovating the building will bring it into compliance and improve some of the building aesthetics.
- Cost: The total project cost is $900,000, including architecture and engineering services and construction ($270,000 in 2021 and $630,000 in 2022 based on a realistic construction schedule).
- Funding: Proceeds from The Abbey sale will fund the majority of the project ($800,000) along with Special Recreation Association Fund reserves for accessibility improvements ($100,000).
- Timeline based on a realistic construction schedule:
- Spring/Summer 2021: Project planning (architectural and engineering)
- Fall 2021: Project bid process and approval and begin construction
- Winter/Spring 2022: Construction continues with a targeted completion in late Spring
- Park Board approved the contract to hire Dewberry Architects for architectural and engineering services for the Adult Center renovation (Winter 2021)
- Held project kickoff meeting with staff and representatives of Dewberry Architects, including their subcontracted engineering professionals (Spring 2021)
- Dewberry Architects updating scope and cost estimates based on staff feedback from kick off meeting and follow-up meeting. Schematic design to be completed by the end of June. (Spring & Summer 2021)