Innovative programming to meet community needs
- Goal 1: Remain aware of and responsive to trends.
- Goal 2: Regularly engage the community to understand program needs.
- Goal 3: Provide sustainable, high quality and inclusive program offerings.
Tactic 1: Invest in and provide core offerings virtually and in outdoor settings that are adaptable to pandemic restrictions (Targeted Completion Date-Fall 2021)
- During Restore Illinois Plan Tier 3 mitigation restrictions (including no in-person programs), some Winter 2021 session programs were offered virtually such as dance programs and gymnastics private lessons and team workouts, along with Courts Plus group exercise programs (January 2021).
- Later in January 2021, the State moved Region 8 (includes DuPage County) into Tier 2 and then Tier 1 mitigation restrictions and the District resumed some rentals and indoor recreation and Courts Plus programming with capacity limits (January 2021)
- Held three winter Pop-up Party in the Park events with games and activities (Winter 2021)
- Held Find Frosty, a six-week scavenger hunt in the parks (Winter 2021)
- Offered Fancy Family Friday program with DiLeo’s Pizzeria, including a meal and activities (Late Winter 2021)
- Continuing to offer virtual group exercise programs along with indoor/outdoor options (Winter & Spring 2021)
- Offered at-home egg hunt pre-registration event called You’ve Been Egged! (Spring 2021)
- Hosted a modified version of the District’s annual egg hunt for ages 2-8, requiring registration for three time slots offered on three ball fields at Berens Park (Spring 2021)
Tactic 2: Work with other organizations to gain priority access to their programming spaces (Targeted Completion Date-Fall 2021)
- Worked with Elmhurst School District #205 staff to secure the use of School District facilities for Park District summer programs to assist in expanding programming and address wait lists while helping the School District address their greater need for outdoor athletic spaces due to altered sports schedules (Winter 2021)
- Began discussions with Timothy Christian schools regarding mutually beneficial opportunities for cooperative use of each agency’s spaces (Winter 2021)
- Offering summer youth sports and theater programs at District #205 schools (Summer 2021)