Salt Creek Park playground is currently being redeveloped and will be open again in late September. View the project page for more information.
Salt Creek Park, located adjacent to Route 83, features a playground, horseshoe pits, baseball diamond, outdoor restrooms and picnic shelter.
- Climbing feature
- Sand play area
- Scoop digger
- Three slides
- Stand-up spinner
- Four swings (one toddler swing)
- Track rides
Salt Creek Park is the Park District's second oldest park. The original 9.5 acres was purchased in 1927 for $20,000 and dedicated as Salt Creek Park on September 22, 1928. An additional parcel was acquired in 1967. In the early years, the park was very popular, as it allowed access to Salt Creek for fishing and had a swimming hole and ice rink. Over the years, a warming house and picnic shelter were added. The expansion of Route 83 and the construction of a parking lot reduced the size of the park. In 1991, the Elmhurst Chicago Stone Company gave the Park District a large lot (21,780 sq. ft.) The additional land made the park a full 10 acres.
A master plan for Salt Creek Park was developed in 1999 when Elmhurst College approached the Park District to enter into a license agreement for construction of an NCAA women's 60-foot softball field and complex with dugouts, scoreboard, and scorer's building with storage and restrooms. In May 2005 the Board of Park Commissioners approved the agreement, as this joint venture fulfilled a major portion of the District's 1999 master plan. Construction was completed in Spring 2006.