Gymnastics classes at the Elmhurst Gymnastics Center, located at Wagner Community Center incorporate aspects of physical fitness, motor development, hand-eye coordination, strength and flexibility. In the beginning, the focus is teaching spatial awareness, socialization and gymnastics skills. As the gymnast grows, the focus moves to skill development in a fun, yet safe, atmosphere.
Several introductory gymnastics courses are available for youngsters, including Meteorites, Asteroids, Twinkle Stars, and Lasers Boys.
Meteorites is split into two age groups, 12-23 months (Meteorites I) and 24-35 months (Meteorites II). It is a parent/child class featuring songs, obstacle courses and group activities.
Asteroids, for ages 3-4, incorporates traditional gymnastics equipment along with obstacle courses in order to teach skills and help develop coordination.
Twinkle Stars, geared toward ages 4-6, helps boys and girls learn proper gymnastics progressions while developing at their own pace in a safe, fun atmosphere.
Lasers Boys features swinging, climbing, jumping and all six men’s Olympic events as well as development of basic skills and body positions, and is designed for ages 4-6.
Our boys-specific gymnastics classes range from ages 5-12. Male gymnasts will be introduced to all six men’s Olympic events: floor exercise, pommel horse, still rings, vault, parallel bars, and high bar. As boys move through the gymnastics program, they’ll focus on increasing flexibility and strength and be introduced to flip flops, round offs, dive rolls and more.
Entrance into the Boys Intermediate/Advanced class is skills based and will require instructor approval.
Girls’ gymnastics classes accommodate ages 5-12, and focus on developing skills on the vault, bars, beam, and floor. As girls advance through the program, higher level techniques are introduced such as back hip circles, kick overs, back walkovers, and limbers.
Entrance into the Girls Intermediate and Advanced classes is skills based and will require instructor approval.
Competitive Gymnastics Team
Boys & Girls prep teams are invitation only school-year-long programs for gymnasts who show gymnastics potential in an effort to prepare for a future team placement.
In Homeschool Gymnastics, children will learn developmental sports skills and gymnastics skills in a 55 minute weekly class designed exclusively for home-schooled students. Strength, flexibility, coordination, balance, kinesthetic awareness, body control and agility are some of the benefits which will carry over to a lifetime of sports participation. Participants will be split into age appropriate groups.
Elmhurst Park District offers Girls and Boys Gymnastics Camp during the summer. Gymnasts will have a great time learning gymnastics in a fun, challenging atmosphere. This week long recreation camp will include basic skill instruction on all gymnastics events. Gymnastics indoor and outdoor games and dance will also be incorporated. No prior gymnastics experience needed, just a willingness to have fun!
One on one instructions can dramatically improve your gymnastics skills. See Private Lesson Booking options.
- Classes are held at Wagner Community Center.
- For the safety of all concerned, anyone who is not participating in a class (i.e. siblings, friends, parents, etc.) is not allowed in the gym and is asked to remain in the lobby area until class is completed. A progress report from your gymnast's instructor will be distributed during each session to guide future registration.
- For safety concerns we no longer host Parent View Weeks.
- Participants are not allowed to chew gum, nor is food or drink allowed in the gymnastics center.
- Participants must remain off the equipment and floor mat until it is their class time and they are called to class by their instructor.
- In an effort to provide quality instruction while maintaining appropriate ratios we do not offer make ups for missed classes.
- The gymnastics staff reserves the right to move students to the appropriate level if needed.
- For safety and comfort, proper attire is mandatory for gymnastics participants:
- Girls: gymnastics leotard or shorts and t-shirt (no tights, no jewelry.)
- Boys: shorts or sweatpants and t-shirt.
- Bare feet are best. Clothing with buttons, zippers and/or snaps is unacceptable as it presents a safety hazard for both participants and instructors.
Preschool Open Gym - Available Fall/Winter/Spring
Location: Wagner Community Center in the Elmhurst Gymnastics Center
Time: Fridays, August 25-December 15, 2023, 9-10:30 am (program does not meet November 24)
Fee: $8 per visit or purchase 6 visit punch card for $30
For ages up to 6 with an adult. Our gymnastics facility is open for our youngest gymnasts to explore and have fun. Staff will be on hand to ensure safety and proper usage of the facility and equipment. Due to safety reasons, the age requirements will be strictly enforced. An adult parent/guardian must be present. Purchase a punch card and skip the daily pass line to be one of the first in line for entry!
The Elmhurst Park District takes safety very seriously. As with any active sport or recreation, injuries can take place. Please see the following information related to concussions.