- Children under the age of 9 and swimmers requiring lifejackets (regardless of age) must be supervised by an adult (16 years of age or older). The adult must be in a bathing suit, in the water, within an arm’s length of the child at all times.
- Children under 2 years of age as of August 1 of the current year are not required to have a pass to be admitted to the pool during scheduled public swim time when accompanied by an adult.
- Children 6 years of age and older must use the gender specific locker rooms or the family changing rooms.
General Rules & Regulations
- Street clothes, cutoffs, underwear, inappropriate swim suits and shoes may not be worn in the water of any pool. Sun hats, sunglasses, clean t-shirts, beach jackets, towels and reading material are allowed in the pool area. Proper swim attire for all patrons, both child and adult, is required on the pool deck. A determination of what is proper swim wear is at the pool manager’s discretion.
- Children who are not potty-trained must wear tightly fitted rubber pants or a swim diaper in the pool. Diapers are not allowed in the pool.
- Changing diapers on the pool deck is not allowed. Please use the locker room changing station. Wash hands with soap and water following a trip to the restroom or a diaper change.
- Baby carriers and baby buggies/strollers on wheels are allowed on the pool deck; however, children must be supervised by an adult at all times.
- The Elmhurst Park District will have lifejackets available for non-swimmers to use at the pools on a first come, first serve basis free of charge. Parents/Guardians are responsible for assuring that the lifejacket properly fits and is securely fastened.
- All flotation devices used by parents must be “Coast Guard Approved”. Prohibited items include, but are not limited to: water wings, inner tubes, rafts, noodles, infant play-time inner tubes, flotation suits, or other non-coast guard approved devices. Any person who using a flotation device must be supervised by an adult (16 years of age or older). The adult must be in a bathing suit, in the water, within an arm’s length of the child at all times.
- Swimming accessories such as beach balls, water pails, toys, and other such items will be allowed at the discretion of the pool manager in designated areas of the pool. Only soft spandex based objects are permitted to be thrown (i.e. balls, Frisbees, etc.). Prohibited items include, but are not limited to: tennis balls, footballs, and other items with a firm exterior. Face masks and goggles containing glass lenses are not allowed at the facility. Kickboards, pull-buoys, fins, snorkels are meant for swim instruction and may only be utilized by lap swimmers or Elmhurst Park District staff. Even approved items may be removed from the water if attendance does not permit for safe conditions.
- Games that promote prolonged breath holding or false distress are not allowed to be played within the facility.
- Lost or stolen articles are not the responsibility of the Elmhurst Park District.
- Assist your child with frequent visits to the restroom to minimize accidents
- Goggles or masks that cover the nose are not allowed.
- Personal chairs and loungers are allowed on the grass and deck areas only.
- Proper behavior is required in the Aquatic facilities and locker rooms. Running or rowdy play will not be permitted.
- Behavior deemed improper, inappropriate or unsafe by the Aquatics Staff may be subject to expulsion of that person(s) from the facility without refund.
- Swimming instruction is only permitted by Elmhurst Park District Swim Instructors.
- Waterslide rules, per required code regulations, are posted at each slide and must be followed by all patrons.
- All patrons must be at least 48 inches to ride the drop slide at East End Pool and the water slide at Smalley Pool due to insurance requirements.
Lap Swim Regulations
- Designated lap lanes are for lap swimming only.
- Continuous, circle swimming must take place in designated lap swim lanes that have multiple swimmers.
- Kickboards, pull-buoys, flippers, and plastic facemasks may be used in these lanes only.
- Instruction may not be given in lap lanes, except by an Elmhurst Park District Swim Instructor.
- For Members-Only Swim, the lap lanes will be reserved for adults only. Children may use all other spaces in the pool and the lap lanes will open up to every one when open swim begins.
Diving Board Regulations
- Divers must be able to proficiently swim 25 yards.
- Head and neck injuries can result from improper diving. To avoid such injuries, use caution while diving.
- Check the water depth and do not dive out of the deep water area.
- Diving is only permitted off the diving boards.
- Only one person at a time is allowed on the diving board.
- Be sure the area is clear before diving.
- Wait for the previous diver to reach the pool side before diving.
- Do not double bounce on the diving board.
- Dive straight off the board.
- Do not swim under the diving board.
- No floatation devices allowed in the deep water swimming area.
- Parents are not allowed to catch their child off the board.
Camp, Groups and Private Pool Rentals
- All groups/camps/rentals must have at least one adult supervisor (16 years or older) in the water, in a swimsuit for every five children under the age of 6, and at least one adult chaperone for every eight children ages 6 years and older. These adults are seen as designated child watchers, and should be in the water with the children at all times in a full swim suit. Camp directors will not be included in the counselor to camper ratio.
- Failure to provide adequate supervision and comply with pool rules may result in loss of pool use privileges for that day.
- All groups/camps/private rentals must identify to the pool manager at least one English speaking supervisor to serve as the group interpreter of the pool safety rules. This person must remain on site during the group’s visit to the pool.
- Pool memberships are only for individual use. Private pool rentals and camps/group outings may not use pool memberships to reduce rates.
Health and Safety
- Lifeguards are responsible for enforcing safety rules and responding to emergencies. For the safety of all our guests, we ask all children under the age of 9 to remain within an arm’s length of a responsible adult at all times.
- Any person suffering from a contagious or infectious disease will not be permitted in the pool area.
- Smoking is strictly prohibited on all Elmhurst Park District property.
- In the event of a fecal contamination, the pool will be evacuated for at least 30 minutes, during which time the Pool Manager will direct the proper procedures for sanitizing the pool according to the Illinois Department of Public Health.
- Memberships are issued as a privilege to Elmhurst Park District residents and nonresidents. Memberships are issued to a specific person and may NOT be transferred. Memberships will be confiscated, without refund if misused.
- A valid Elmhurst Park District issued membership card or a photo ID must be presented in order to gain admittance to the pool. Memberships are valid at both East End and Norman P. Smalley Pools. Courts Plus memberships are only valid at the outdoor facilities during the annual two week-shut down.
- Replacement membership cards are issued for a fee of $10.00 at Wagner Community Center or the pools.
- Those individuals, who need to bring in food due to a child’s allergy, must alert a manager and the admissions staff.
- Only food and beverages which have been purchased at the pool concessions stand may be consumed inside the aquatic facilities. Food and beverages are allowed only on the concession area at East End and Norman P. Smalley pools. Coolers are prohibited in the aquatic facilities at any time.
- Until 5 pm, a ten-minute adult swim will be conducted on the hour, every hour that the pool is open. Aquatic Management may continue adult swims after 5pm if they feel attendance numbers are high enough to warrant additional adult swims.
- Adults 16 years of age and older may swim during adult swims.
- Adults are not permitted to hold children in the water during adult swim.
- Children should use this time to drink water and use the restroom facilities.
Elmhurst Park District reserves the right to cancel or close due to mechanical problems, low attendance, or negative weather issues:
- Any situation arises that would jeopardize the public health or safety of patrons in attendance.
- The air temperature drops below 65 degrees.
- If lightning and/or thunder is in the area, the pool deck will be cleared and will not reopen until no lighting or thunder has been present for 30 minutes. If conditions force two consecutive 30 minute closures, or an all clear has not been given for ninety minutes, the facility will be closed.
If the facility is required to close, staff will update the Rainout Line.