Strengthen Organizational Culture
- Goal 1: Continue to invest in training, continuing education, and personal development.
- Goal 2: Improve internal communication and engagement.
- Goal 3: Assess operational needs and organizational structure.
- Goal 4: Become a more data-driven organization.
- Goal 5: Increase focus on Districtwide succession planning.
Tactic 1: Evaluate and implement actions to become a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization (Targeted Completion Date-December 2022)
- Formed employee Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Team with 14 full-time and part-time employees (Spring 2021)
- Gathered feedback (along with resources) from other parks and recreation agencies on their experiences with implementing DEI initiatives (Spring 2021)
- Held first Team meeting, which included discussing DEI definitions, the Team’s role and expectations, and available resources (e.g., NRPA, IPRA, other Districts) to begin planning next steps for addressing initiative (Spring 2021)
- Team wrote and distributed to employees an Inclusion Vision Stand to define and communicate the DEI Team's vision of how to create sustainable DEI efforts and foster inclusion across the organization (Summer 2021)
- Offered an employee DEI book club, which read and discussed Creating Belonging at Work by Rhodes Perry (Fall 2021)
- Updated registration software (and related forms) to expand gender identity options to include a non-binary option along with an option for persons who have a different gender identity than male, female, or non-binary (Fall 2021)
- Underwent a Request for Proposals (RFP) selection process to choose a DEI professional services firm to conduct a DEI organizational assessment (Fall 2021), including:
- posting availability of the RFP on epd.org and in a Daily Herald legal advertisement (in print and online);
- distributed RFP to 43 firms; and
- formed Selection Team that reviewed six (6) submitted proposals, interviewed four (4) firms that met the proposal evaluation criteria, and selected the firm that is the best fit for the project based on the evaluation criteria.
- Held seven (7) DEI Team meetings in 2021 and will continue to meet regularly in 2022 (2021)
- Park Board approved the hiring of Dr. Tamekia Scott from Edquity-Minded Consulting to conduct a DEI organizational assessment, develop recommendations and implementation strategies with staff and the Park Board, and compile and present an organizational change planning report (Winter 2022)
- Held project kick-off meeting with Dr. Tamekia Scott to confirm project work plan and timelines (Winter 2022)
- Dr. Scott created and continues to implement a project communications plan, including kicking-off the project with employees, maintaining a project online landing page with information and updates, creating a project overview video, and sending project update emails (Winter and Spring 2022)
- Completed the first step in the organizational assessment, which was collecting feedback via an online employee survey (administered by Dr. Scott) about employee experiences related to DEI (35% completion ratio for full-time and part-time employees) (Winter and Spring 2022)
- Dr. Scott requested, and staff provided, DEI policies and documented practices for her to validate the survey data and provide additional evidence of areas of strength and challenges/opportunities for growth (as part of the second step of the organizational assessment) (Spring 2022)
- Held a DEI Discussion Group, which focused on a different DEI topic at four (4) meetings to expand participants understanding of DEI (Spring 2022)
Tactic 2: Review, determine, and begin implementing the optional organizational structure (Targeted Completion Date-February 2023)
- To improve park operations in the field and improve outcomes in park maintenance, restructured supervision within the Parks Department without increasing the number of employees (Winter 2021)
- To optimize Enterprise Services financial performance and facility maintenance resources across the District, shifted Courts Plus, Wilder Mansion, and Sugar Creek Golf Course facility operations, budget, and staffing to the Facilities Department (from the Enterprise Services Department) (Fall 2021 and Winter 2022)
Tactic 3: Conduct organizational culture survey (Targeted Completion Date-April 2023)
- Tactic scheduled to begin Fall 2022.